50 grams of ALUM Potassium Aluminum Sulfate | Powder Form
Welcome to the Amazing World of Natural Dye!
So, you want to explore Natural Dyes... Or, you bought/received an ANINI Designs Natural Dye Kit & need a re-fill to keep experimenting and exploring... Or, you just want to dye (more) items and need more mordant to keep achieving lasting, permanent magical Natural Dye color?! -- You're in the right place!
ALUM is used to mordant fibers and fabrics before applying Natural Dye. Mordant gives Natural Dyes a surface to grip permanently. Without mordant, most Natural Dyes will either immediately rinse out or quickly fade, or both.
ALUM Mordant helps Natural Dyes achieve their brightest, strongest potentials when dyed over. It is a safe metallic salt and perfect for home use. It is good for use on Protein and Cellulose fibers/fabrics.
DETERMINING QUANTITY (1) Weigh dry fiber/fabric to dye. (2) Divide total weight of dry fiber/fabric by 15-20%. (3) Measure that quantity of ALUM to mordant with.
PREPARATION (4) Boil a pot* of water that will fit fiber/fabric to mordant. (5) Gently pour ALUM into hot water and stir till dissolved. (6) Wet all fiber/fabric before adding to the mordant. (7) Add wet fiber/fabric to the mordant. (8) Cook on medium to high heat (dependent on fiber type -- e.g. lower heat for silks, wools; higher heat for cellulose) for 1 hour.
* ANINI MISSION: I am committed to creating pieces that speak in conversation with, for, and in support of our amazing environment.
By purchasing from ANINI Designs you are supporting an independent, work-from-home fiber artisan who is weaving her peace, love, joy and the future into each textile.
* HEALTH NOTE: Natural Dyes and Mordants may cause irritation to skin. Each person has their own sensitivities. Please use with care and take necessary precautions (e.g. use gloves and face mask) while handling, pouring, transferring, cooking, etc.
* PREP WARNING: Mordant and Natural Dye Pots must only be used with dye processes. Do not use a kitchen-cooking pot that you plan on using again with food.
* ECO-FRIENDLYPACKAGING: Individual & multiple quantities of smaller items are shipped in a 100% recycled poly mailer, made entirely from waste, that includes a dual adhesive strip so you can re-use it before it's recycled once again.
* INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: Buyer is wholly responsible for import/export rules to their country. ANINI Designs is not responsible for knowing all international shipping law. This means, your country may not allow metallic salts and may be seized by customs. There will be no refunds if this should take place.
* PROCESSING TIME: This item is ready to ship upon order. Item will be posted within 3-5 standard business days (not including holidays). If you have specific time constraints, please do reach out before purchase. Thank you!
* GIFT ORDERS: Please add a NOTE upon purchase if you'd like a hand-written note included in your package.
* NO RETURN/REFUNDS: Because of the nature of Natural Dyes and Mordants, ANINI Designs does not accept exchanges or returns on any/all Natural Dyes, Mordants and Natural Dye Kits.
* VISIBILITY: Colors may vary slightly due to computer settings.