NATURAL DYE KIT - DYE-IT-YOURSELF - 100% Cotton Market Bag
NATURAL DYE :: DYE-IT-YOURSELF KIT
LEARN TO DYE A
100% COTTON FARMERS MARKET MESH BAG
Choose from 1 of 7 Natural Dyes:
Annatto, Cochineal, Cutch, Henna, Madder, Osage, or Red Sandalwood
Welcome to the Amazing World of Natural Dye!
The NATURAL DYE :: DYE-IT-YOURSELF KIT is a perfect place to begin exploring the magical world of Natural Dye--a place where Science, Math and Art intersect.
This kit includes an Instruction Booklet that will walk you through the Process of Using a Natural Dye + Mordant (otherwise known as a Fixative/Fixer) safely, efficiently and with care. It will give you the opportunity to dye a variety of fabric samples of different fiber types, as well as 1 finished dyeable--in this kit, a Cotton Farmers Market Mesh Bag.
This Natural Dye Kit will take you through the processes of preparing and using:
~ The Scouring process to prep your dyeables,
~ Mordant to permanently fix the dye so it's wash-fast and light-fast,
~ Natural Dye (choose one) to dye color into your fiber
~ & Rinsing, to complete the process.
Perfect for anyone wishing to learn the basics of Natural Dyeing. And especially great for the fiber-enthusiast (think knitters, crocheters, sewers, weavers, and more). Anyone working with fiber has wondered what it'd be like to dye their own items to get that perfect shade or hue. The kit is equally fun for artists + crafters, designers + decor-lovers, science-math-geeks, teens, (older) kids + homeschoolers (with adult supervision) & home-chefs who've wondered about the process of cooking up color.
And when finished experimenting with the included samples and dyeable, there will be plenty of mordants and dye left for you to play with dyeing your own item(s) (the dye will continue, but will gradually fade into lighter tones).
* 1 pack of Natural Dye - Your choice of: Annatto, Cochineal, Cutch, Henna, Madder, Osage, or Red Sandalwood
ANNATTO (seeds) give a range of Peach to Golden Yellows.
COCHINEAL (insects) gives a Bright Pink to Fuschia. (*fair trade, organically-farmed)
CUTCH (tree) gives a range of Caramels, Taupes + Tans.
HENNA (plant) gives a range from Tan to Gold to a Yellow-Orange.
MADDER (plant) gives Orange to Faded Rust Reds.
OSAGE (tree) gives a Bold and Bright Golden Yellow.
RED SANDALWOOD (tree) gives a Coral to Red-Orange Hue.
HOW MUCH DYE IS THERE?
All dyes have been weighed in quantity to match what is needed to dye your 3 samples + dyeable. There will be enough Mordant and Dye after the process for you to dye at least one more small item, if not more, dependent on the size and weight of the item you choose to dye (i.e. there's not enough Mordant or Dye for say a sheet, but a small fabric, like a pillowcase or dishcloth, will come out less colorful than your first samples and dyeable, but dyed in a lighter shade surely).
The Dye bath will continue giving color until the dye particulates have been fully depleted. This means that you can continue to use it until the bath is not giving enough color to your liking. Important, the Mordant is what makes the Natural Dye adhere to fabric, so be sure to pre-mordant any item(s) you plan on dyeing.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
* Apron or Old Clothes / Gloves
* Pot (preferably stainless steel or aluminum--not to be used with food afterward)
* Stirring Tool / Tongs / Spoon (preferably wooden, stainless steel, aluminum or plastic--not to be used with food afterward)
* Mixing Cup (paper/plastic work fine--not to be used with food afterward)
* pH-Neutral Soap (Dawn, Washing Soda, Sodium Carbonate, Soda Ash, Sal Soda, Synthropol all work perfectly)
* Place to Hang Samples and Dyed Items to Dry
* OPTIONAL: Fabric/Fiber to Experiment With -- There'll be plenty of leftover Mordant to soak your item(s) in and Dye in the Dye Pot.
* COLOR NOTE: ANINI Designs is not responsible for the color you reach through this varied and multi-faceted process. Your color results will be determined by how you approach the Natural Dye process (e.g. as in, what minerals are present in the water you use, what temperatures you heat to, which mordant you use, what type of metal pot you choose to mordant and dye in, what fiber type you're dyeing, etc.).
* ANINI MISSION: I am committed to creating pieces that speak in conversation with, for, and in support of our amazing environment.
By purchasing from ANINI Designs you are supporting an independent, work-from-home fiber artisan who is weaving her peace, love, joy and the future into each textile.
* HEALTH NOTE: Natural Dyes and Mordants may cause irritation to skin. Each person has their own sensitivities. Please use with care and take necessary precautions (e.g. use gloves and face mask) while handling, pouring, transferring, cooking, etc.
* PREP WARNING: Mordant and Natural Dye Pots must only be used with dye processes. Do not use a kitchen-cooking pot that you plan on using again with food.
* ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING: All kits are shipped in a recyclable cardboard box.
* INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: Buyer is wholly responsible for import/export rules to their country. ANINI Designs is not responsible for knowing all international shipping law. This means, your country may not allow metallic salts and may be seized by customs. There will be no refunds if this should take place.
* PROCESSING TIME: This item is ready to ship upon order. Item will be posted within 3-5 standard business days (not including holidays). If you have specific time constraints, please do reach out before purchase. Thank you!
* GIFT ORDERS: Please add a NOTE upon purchase if you'd like a hand-written note included in your package.
* NO RETURN/REFUNDS: Because of the nature of Natural Dyes and Mordants, ANINI Designs does not accept exchanges or returns on any/all Natural Dyes, Mordants and Natural Dye Kits.
* VISIBILITY: Colors may vary slightly due to computer settings.